Jaisalmer Tourism: Know all about Places to visit in Jaisalmer, Activities in Jaisalmer & where to stay in Jaisalmer
Are you interested in staying in an authentic Rajasthani theme hotel, or visit stunning haveli’s (mansions) & enjoy outdoor activities like desert safari? Then you should visit Jaisalmer.
In our Jaisalmer Tourism Guide for 2018/19, you’ll get genuine information on:
1. Tourist places in Jaisalmer
2. Desert activities for travellers
3. How to reach Jaisalmer
4. Tour packages for Jaisalmer
5. Tourist cities near Jaisalmer
6. Best months to visit Jaisalmer
7. Best hotels & desert camps in Jaisalmer city & desert area.
View details for all these points below, & feel free to call our manager Mr Singh at +91 9414796344, or fill the contact form at the end of this page.
Best tourist places to visit in Jaisalmer
25% of the total population & 1/3rd tourist sites of Jaisalmer, is at the “Jaisalmer Golden Fort“. Here you must visit sites like:
– 4 huge entry gates
– Heritage Haveli’s (see point 3)
– Laxminath Temple
– 500 years old Jain temples
Jaisalmer Fort is a Unesco world heritage site & its local bazaars are full of colourful handicrafts & rooftop restaurants.
2. Gadisar Lake
Gadisar/Gadsisar lake is a 600-year-old artificial lake built by Rawal Jaisal, to store rainwater. Here you can enjoy activities like:
– Enter through Tilon Ki Pol
– Explore beautiful temples, ghats & chhatri’s.
– Enjoy boat ride (at evening)
– Take pictures of migratory birds
The timing of Gadsisar lake is from 9 am to 8 pm & there is no entry fee here. You only need to pay Rs 10 to 50 for the boat ride.
3. Haveli’s (Mansions)
At Jaisalmer, you’ll find beautiful Haveli’s which were once the residence of Jaisalmer royal family. Now, they have been turned into Museums & some must-visit ones are:
– Patwon Haveli
– Salim Singh Haveli
– Raja ka Mahal
– Nathmalji Ki Haveli
Apart from these, you should also visit Badal Mahal, a 5 storey palace turned hotel & museum.
Bada Bagh or Bara Bagh is a memorial built by Jaisalmer royal family to remember their kings, especially Jaisal Singh. Here you will find:
– Yellow sandstone Chhatris
– An artificial water tank & dam
– Sandstone built domes
– Square Pavilions
The entry fee here is Rs 50, & Bada Bagh is open from 8 am to 6 pm. Plus, it’s advised to carry a water bottle, as this site is 6 km outside Jaisalmer city.
Vyas Chhatri is named after Ved Vyas, the writer of Mahabharat. Vyas Chhatri is open from 8 am to 7:30 pm & here you will find:
– Beautiful cenotaph
– Wall cravings & statues
– Sandstone built domes
– Square Pavilions
Vyas Chhatri is a popular site to capture a beautiful sunset & from August to March, you’ll find many local musicians playing Algoza (wooden flute) over here.
6. Sam sand dunes
Sam sand dunes, is one of the most popular sand dunes areas in Jaisalmer district. Sam is 45 km west of Jaisalmer city and here you can enjoy activities like:
– Camel safari & kart ride
– Jeep safari or Dune bashing
– Tribal dance at desert camps
– Night stay at desert camps.
The best to visit Sam sand dunes is from August to March & you can view our list of Top 10 desert camps in Jaisalmer for more details.
7. Jaisalmer War Museum
Jaisalmer War Museum (JWM) is a popular tourist attraction, which is just 8 km east of the city & it presents an impressive collection of:
– Captured war vehicles of 1965 war
– Captured tanks of 1971 war (Indo-Pak)
– Captured arms ammunition of 47, 48, 65, 99 war
– And a cafeteria + souvenir shop.
You will find Jaisalmer War Museum unique & interesting & the timings here is from 9 am to 7 pm and entry is free.
8. Desert Culture Centre & Museum
This is a private museum run by Mr NK Sharma (historian, writer, teacher). You must come here in evening to enjoy:
– Evening puppet show
– Information about Jaisalmer culture
– And many souvenirs
The museum timing is from 10 am to 8 pm, but the best time to visit is 6:30 pm or 7:30 pm & the entry fee of Rs 50 per person.
And all these 8 sites are some of the must-visit tourist attractions in Jaisalmer, which require at least 3 days/ 2 nights of your time.
Below you will find details on a few more tourist sites that you can explore near Jaisalmer, along with a list of:
- Our Jaisalmer tour packages
- List of popular hotels & camps
- How to reach Jaisalmer?
- Best months to plan a trip to Jaisalmer
- Popular restaurants in Jaisalmer.
View all these details below, & feel free to contact our manager Mr Singh at +91 9414796344, or fill the contact form at the end of this page.
How to reach Jaisalmer
Via land, rail & flight.
1. Reach Jaisalmer via train
Jaisalmer Railway Station is connected with major cities like Delhi, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Surat, Jodhpur, Jaipur etc. Some popular trains which one can catch for Jaisalmer are:
- Ranikhet Express (15014) & Delhi Jaisalmer Express (14659) to reach Jaisalmer from Delhi, Jaipur & Jodhpur.
- Bandra Terminus Jaisalmer (22931) cover Mumbai, Surat & Ahmedabad.
You can also reach Jodhpur Junction if above trains are not available & then hire a taxi for Jaisalmer which cost Rs 2500 (sedan), a 4-5 hour drive. The best trains to reach Jodhpur are:
- Ranakpur Express (14708) to reach Jodhpur from Mumbai, Surat & Ahmedabad
- ADI JAT Express (19223) to reach Jodhpur from Ahmedabad
- Suryanagri Express (12480) to reach Jodhpur from Mumbai & Ahmedabad
2. Reach Jaisalmer via plane
From 2017, Jaisalmer airport is open for public from October to march. Some popular flights for Jaisalmer are:
- SpiceJetSG-2984: Departure from Delhi 2:20 pm & reach Jaisalmer by 4:25 pm.
- SpiceJetSG-922: Departure from Ahmedabad 11:25 am & reach Jaisalmer by 4:40 pm (1 stop at Jaipur)
There are limited flights for Jaisalmer & you can get daily/ direct flights only from Jaipur & Delhi.
3. Reach Jaisalmer via road
You can reach Jaisalmer by road if you are arriving from neighbouring states like Gujarat, Delhi etc.
To reach Jaisalmer via road from Delhi, we suggest Delhi-Mandawa-Bikaner-Jaisalmer route.
And if you are interested to first visit Jodhpur before reaching Jaisalmer, then take Delhi-Mandawa-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer route
To reach Jaisalmer from Ahmedabad, we suggest Ahmedabad-Sanchore-Barmer-Jaisalmer route.
You can also visit Udaipur, Jodhpur by taking the Ahmedabad-Himmatnagar-Udaipur-Rajsamand-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer route.
3 days Jaisalmer tour package
Our 3 days Jaisalmer tour package is best for travellers planning to visit only Jaisalmer, as here they can:
- Arrive in Jaisalmer on Day 1 noon
- Explore Jaisalmer city on Day 1 & 2
- Explore the sand dunes from Day 2 evening
- Jaisalmer local & market tour on Day 3
- Departure on Day 3 by evening.
You can view a well-planned tour itinerary of this 3 days/ 2 nights Jaisalmer tour package by clicking the link below.
4 days Jodhpur Jaisalmer tour package
Jodhpur is 4 hour from Jaisalmer & connected with all major cities (Airport/train). So, you can plan a Jodphur Jaisalmer tour where:
- Arrive in Jodhpur on Day 1 morning
- Explore Jodhpur on Day 1 & 2
- Reach Jaisalmer on Day 2 night
- Explore Jaisalmer city on Day 3
- Explore Jaisalmer desert area on Day 4
- Departure from Jaisalmer by Day 5 evening
View more details on our Jodhpur Jaisalmer tour package, by clicking the button below.
7 days Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer tour
Another popular tour which contains holidays in Jaisalmer is our 7 days Jaipur, Jodhpur & Jaisalmer tour package where:
- Arrival in Jaipur on Day 1
- Explore Jaipur on Day 1 & 2
- Explore Jodhpur on Day 3 & 4
- Explore Jaisalmer on Day 5 & 6
- Departure on Day 7 from Jaisalmer.
You can view details of this 7 days/ 6 nights tour itinerary by clicking the below button.
And also have a look at our suggestion on how you can plan:
- Jaisalmer tour package from New Delhi (adding soon)
- Jaisalmer tour package from Ahmedabad
Click the above links to view complete details, or call us at 9414796344 (Mr Singh) for more details.
You can also fill the contact form at the end of this page.